[Skimmertalk] Brief experiment with Skimmer and 40 MeterSoftRock at Field Day

Vladimir Sidorov vs.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 16:57:10 EDT 2008

Joe,

Thanks for the confirmation of the fact that the SO/No Sklimmer and
SO+Skimmer are in different classes.
The matter is, some No Skimmer operators want to compete to eachother and
they don't want to be in the same class with SO+Skimmer...

You say, the way of CW decoding is irrelevant. Let me remind you of the fact
that CW is a part of astronauts' preparation program. Then, MARS has
recently included CW again into the official modes list (see a recent ARRL
Letter). The reason is simple, CW is sometimes the only mean of
communications in emergency and therefore CW skills have a certain value.
Therefore, in order to retain the whole existence of the "true" CW operators
as a class, they should stay within their own rules. I am affraid, NASA and
MARS would decline to employ Skimmer regardless the fact that this
technology is more advanced than human decoding. Why should we? I mean, why
should we MERGE the two classes for an account of possible degradation of
operators' CW skills?

I can see no corellation between Skimmer and SO2R. An operator can easily
use 2R or any quantity of receivers at once, provided, he decodes CW
himself. The Skimmer decodes hundreds of signals at once, eventually makes
some error check and verification of the call-signs with SCP/callbook
database and provides the operator with a ready made list of stations placed
along the bandmap. No SO2R/SOnR operator can even approach that.

If you want to take care of deaf people and beginners, there is always a
window for them, provided, they don't get any advantage against SO-human
decoding. There used to be no complaints against Writelog and those small
pocket CW decoders, because, inlike Skimmer, such decoders could only decode
a single signal a time, exactly what a normal SO does by ear. So let them
keep on using the one-at-a-time decoders.

Once again, thanks for your acceptance of the fact that SO/No Skimmer and
SO+Skimmer are not equal. I believe, it's a nice step forward.

73,
Vladimir VE3IAE

---