[Skimmertalk] "Assistance" and "Red Herrings" - What technologiesdo we want to permit in our "sport"?

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Mon Jun 30 14:05:02 EDT 2008

> As I see it, the issue is this:  What sorts of technology do
> we want to permit in our sport? To put it another way, is
> there an essential role for the operator in contesting and,
> if so, what is it?

> I note that all the competitive activities I can think of
> right now prohibit certain technological advances:  Major
> League baseball prohibits aluminum bats, NASCAR prohibits
> automatic traction control, Golf strictly regulates balls and
> clubs, Bridge prohibits card-counting computers, Chess
> prohibits computers, Scrabble prohibits almost all paper, etc..

Unfortunately, other competitive activities are not based on
technology.  Amateur Radio is by definition a technological
activity and it is impossible to separate the technology from
the other activities.   The other activities all have a single
sanctioning body - no such entity exists in amateur radio.

The "problem" is that the essential technologies in skimmer
have all been "legal" for single operators for many years.
How do you determine that skimmer should be illegal when
logging computers, SCP, CW decoders and SO2R have all been
used individually for more than ten years?  Do you limit
the computing power to no more than a 300 MHz Pentium III?
Which technology do you "take away?"

Although it requires another class, it makes far more sense
to add the number of simultaneous (duplex) receivers as a
defining characteristic in the entry class structure (e.g.,
single/multiple operator, single/multiple receivers, and
high/low power [EIRP]).

I know there are those who disagree but skimmer is much closer
to SO2R (in operation and potential results) than to "operator
assistance" (cluster).  If skimmer should be treated differently
that "a boy and his radio," so too should SO2R.  It only makes
sense to separate the duplex receiver applications just as
multiple operator (multi-single, "assisted") and high power
operations have been grouped for years.