[Skimmertalk] Brief experiment with Skimmer and 40 Meter SoftRock at Field Day

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Jun 30 10:44:28 EDT 2008

The bandpass filters on the front end of the SoftRock are extremely broad,
so I'm not surprised.  On the other hand, if you had a set of W3LPL RX
bandpass filters in front of it, results might have been different.  I've
noticed that with my all-band Softrock I tend to demodulate SW broadcast
signals around the local oscillator frequency, which tells you something
about how broad it is.

One possible option - I think N3HVQ is working with it - is the SDR-IQ
(www.rfspace.com).  I would still expect to need bandpass filtering in
front of it, in a multi-transmitter environment, but at least it has a 10db
attenuator and variable RF gain.  It also receives from 500Hz (that's
right, Hz) to 30 MHz, so it could be useful for a lot of other things,
including spectrum analysis, LOWFERing, and SWLing.  Best of all, it's
USB-powered and doesn't need a sound card!

73, Pete