[Skimmertalk] Archive?

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Mon Jun 30 00:51:55 EDT 2008

> The attack of the red herrings!

"Assistance" has been a red herring from the very start.

Technology/hardware/software is not a assistance.  How the
technology is used is a decision for the operator whether is
be additional receivers, CW decoders, logging software or
memory keyers.

The ONLY "assistance" is participation by or input from ANOTHER
operator.  Any deviation from that principle is a red herring.

> If I populate my own bandmap with information that I decoded
> off the air with my own ears and wetware from one of those 17
> receivers, where is the "assistance"?

If I connect a CW decoder to each of those 17 receivers where
is the "assistance?"  Any operator has been free to use CW
decoders since the day they were first available.  Why is it
that simply because Alex has developed software to process the
output of a CW decoder more efficiently they suddenly become
"assistance?"  Logging software did not become "assistance"
when it became "real time" instead of a post contest tool
even though it replaced significant operator skills (that were
not required in order to obtain a license) and had the EFFECT
of turning single operator stations into multi-single stations.

Even though the entire history of amateur radio and contesting
has been to replace one operator skill after another with some
form of technology, it is only when technology shows the
prospect of helping operators with modest SO2R skills to become
more efficient and potentially challenge some of the elite
that technology is shunned.

Hans, the Handicapper General would be proud of you.