[Skimmertalk] Skimmer - Something new to talk about

Stan Stockton k5go at cox.net
Tue Jun 24 10:29:53 EDT 2008

CW is an outdated mode but a lot of people want to compete using this
outdated mode with the skills they have developed.  Most enter the
category that does not allow packet, even though their score would be
higher and their chances of winning a certificate are greater in the
assisted category.  This is some evidence that most do not want to be
provided with a list of callsigns and frequencies.

Although I wish Skimmer was not an issue, I am trying to come up with
ideas that would please more than just one side or the other.  Also
thinking about it with the rules committees in mind, knowing that it is
going to be a difficult situation.

Here is another wild idea that has not been proposed - Again, THIS IS
NOT EVEN CLOSE to what I want but something a little new to discuss.....

What if LOCAL SKIMMER was allowed in EVERY CATEGORY - SDR MUST BE WITHIN
THE 500M CIRCLE.  If the SDR is outside the 500M circle or fed into a
network (public or private) and the entrant connects, he is using a
REMOTE RECEIVER and is subject to DQ.   Come up with a number to
multiply the final score by if Skimmer used.

KC1XX, W3LPL, K3LR results in the Multi-multi category, for example, are
pretty close over the past several years.  Let's say, for example, in
the CQ and ARRL Contests, we could analyze the scores and compare based
on past comparisons.  Just as a little example, let's say that K5GO,
K1TTT, NQ4I, W2FU, K3LR and several other perennial entrants agreed to
use Skimmer and KC1XX, W3LPL and several others agreed not to use it -
for two contests (CQ WW and ARRL DX).  Then we look at the difference in
scores for the past five years of all those stations.  K5GO perhaps
averages 50% of the score of the top three, K1TTT and NQ4I perhaps 70%,
etc.  See what multiplier you would have to give the Skimmer user in
order to bring the scores back in line.  Perhaps the Skimmer user would
have the score multiplied by a factor of 82%, for example.  Perhaps not
to skew the results for the test contests, those who used Skimmer would
agree to a multiplier that would take them back to where they typically
finish as compared to the top scores.  The biggest hurdle would be
coming up with a factor that was fair and knowing approximately what it
should be with Skimmer improvements that will come in the next couple of
years. The same avenue could be used in other categories of entry.

What is the result?

Everyone can use Skimmer, if they enjoy using it.
Everyone who wants to operate without Skimmer can compete with those who
choose to use it.
Good or Bad - Packet more than likely goes away for valid entries in CW
Contesting (based on K1TTT's statements regarding the integration of
Skimmer)  Those who want to just get on and make some contacts or chase
new countries can do whatever they want.
There is one less category (SOA goes away) and the only thing left to
talk about is whether the factor is fair

Finally, Skimmer is the name of the turtle I picked up next to the 15M
tower which was given to Katie, my three year old grandchild.  Skimmer
will be her entrant in the July 4th turtle race on the square in
downtown Harrison, Arkansas. :-)

73...Stan, K5GO