[Skimmertalk] Now what - other contesting uses for Skimmer?

K0HB k-zero-hb at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 16 20:09:16 EDT 2008

> I don't get it.  What's the difference between cross checking logs to
> verify a claimed QSO and analyzing band recordings to verify rule
> compliance?  It's no different than instant replay in sports.  If
> anything, it would seem to me to be less prone to abuse to have the
> sponsors be able to directly monitor a contest than to rely on data from
> other contesters.

The difference is that "instant replays" can potentially decide whether an
obscenely paid football player (and his team) win (or lose) a game and go
on to the playoffs and even bigger paydays (or not).

Radiosport contesting is just a bunch of hobbyists amusing themselves with
a radio for the weekend.  If it's degraded to the point that ARRL (or
whoever) should spend $Ten-of-thousands on "a network of Skimmers to
monitor bands during major contests and provide an iron-clad basis for
resolving at least some allegations of cheating" then it's time to turn the
whole damn thing over to the CBers.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Just an old boy and his radio