[Skimmertalk] IARU and Skimmer

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Jul 13 11:25:25 EDT 2008

I'm looking for after-action reports.  I ran a single-band 20M Skimmer this
weekend in the IARU - because my all-band SoftRock is temporarily hors de
combat.  Discovered one thing for sure - you absolutely have to protect
your Skimmer RX from your transmitted signal - not just to prevent damage,
but because if the receiver is completely hammered, it takes a couple of
seconds for the Skimmer decoders to recover.  If you're only running 3
seconds or so between CQs, you're losing 2/3 of your listening time, you
miss a lot, and the number of busted calls goes up rapidly.  Bandpass
filters and other isolation measures seem to be essential.

On the other hand, I found Skimmer quite effective for filling my bandmap
on 20 when I was operating other bands, even though my SO2R isolation isn't
wonderful; evidently it can handle an ordinarily loud local signal without
much diminution in accuracy.