[Skimmertalk] Skimmers @ NZ1U/KB1H & W1UJ

JasonVC JasonVC at Verizon.net
Wed Dec 24 18:04:51 EST 2008

The infrastructure @ NZ1U was feeds from the K3 Softrock Panadapter, a
Softrock skimmer fixed on 40m, KB1H node, W1UJ K3 SR Panadapter, on
whatever band I was active on and there was a fixed 40m Skimmer here also.

My experience was that the K3 would spot the stuff around the active
frequency.  AT KB1H, the K3 was a dedicated spotting station which did
not transmit. Transmitting or changing frequencies would stop spotting
and the validation process would begin again.  On an active radio, it
didn't help much
 I would leave the rig, without transmitting or frequency changes for
about 5 minutes and 'sweep' the stations that I didn't work that were
spotted and not busted calls.
Where the KB1H spots were low angle/dx spots and the W1UJ spots were
more NVIS local stuff.

Filtering-
Since there were huge amounts of busted calls and huge amounts of spots,
the skimmer's filter which defaults to setting 'Normal' to Aggressive
and later to Paranoid. (Skimmer's 4 validation settings are Minimal,
Normal, Aggressive, Paranoid. )
There is also a setting where the spots will only send validated calls
sending CQ this again worked well.
The absolute best setup for the filter for the CQWW was setting the
spots only from DX stations, calling CQ, with the 'Normal' validation
setting. Skimmer validates it's skimmed calls by comparing it against
the K5ZD Super Check Partial MASTER.dat files.   To filter out the local
stations, the available MASTERDX.dat only includes non-US call signs so
the DX mostly came through.  There were still locals spotted, but much less.

Operating-
Changing frequencies, or transmitting would delay spots as the
validation processes took place.  I must say, that working the stations
spotted through Skimmer has renewed another anchor to keep me hooked
with cool new technologies.  It was much, much more fun on  single band
ARRL 160m or ARRL 10m contests.  My station is a real poor radio
location, so not expecting much, I left the Skimmers plugging away.
I attribute a good number of multipliers from W1UJ were worked from
Skimmer spots where the KB1H/NZ1U was more for QSO's since we try
running more than S&P, the mults call us.

With the high power during  contest, the Softrock Skimmers would spot
different variations of the station call signs when were were running,
the K3's filtering would allow same band monitoring I bet.
NZ1U would spot NG1I, NG1U etc... etc.. throughout the band on all
freq's at the same time.

I have just this week modified my K3's IF output buffer circuit to have
more signals 'visible'.  I have not yet measured performance differences
from stock, but a quick scan of the bands did seem like there were more
signals. We will soon modify the KB1DFB K3 @ KB1H/NZ1U to enhance our
'skimming' if the mod seems beneficial.

We are using K1TTT's winTelnetX software which is perfect for all of the
setups and testing between multiple stations.
Thanks Dave.

Future related projects @ KB1H/NZ1U include;
-Modify KB1DFB K3 IF
-Place a multi-band Softrock (once the bandpass filters are worked out)
on a DX Engineering ground mounted vertical receive antenna, possibly
with the scheduled band changes software.
-Establish a sort of isolated DX Spider node so Skimmer spots can be
shared and more could contribute.  Like the dxwatch.skimmer website, but
an actual packet feed&filter
-Assist Pete with testing stuff.

J- W1UJ