[Skimmertalk] Skimmer Experience 160M and 10M

Joe Hetrick jhetrick at bitjanitor.net
Tue Dec 23 08:28:03 EST 2008

I still think it's useful to see who is calling CQ as well as who is
calling him, though, I think it really depends on how folks intend to
use Skimmer.

If they're calling, but not working the station, then, they're
obviously not a good indicator of what the CQ station is hearing (say
in the case of DX).

I'm still in the stage that I want to see:

1) Overall band activity
2) DX that I hear, and when I hear it.

I'm not always in the shack (in fact, I am able to spend far less time
than I like) but; skimmer can be a propagation experience builder, I
think.  If you're able to log many hours of RX and condense it down to
heard calls with a relative report; you can get a good idea for when
the band<s> are hot.

One thing that would be nice (and I asked Felipe for it, but, I
imagine he's busy around holidays and it's by no means an important
thing) was the ability to suppress your own call from being spotted
when CQ'ing.  My TX and RX antennas are crammed together, which means
my skimmers frequently report me calling CQ on that band (or, usually,
another) this is no good :).

73, and have pleasant and safe holidays,

Joe KC0VKN