[Skimmertalk] Skimmer use places op in Assisted category forCQWW

Stan Stockton k5go at cox.net
Tue Aug 12 11:44:51 EDT 2008

I had originally thought the new rules for the basic single operator
category were crystal clear.  After reading some of the posts, they are
obviously not to some.

In addition, remote Skimmer is specifically mentioned as being allowed
in the assisted category, and assumed to be allowed (although not
mentioned) in all other categories other than the basic single operator
category.

The term QSO Alerting Assistance is not defined, although I make the
assumption that the intention was to prohibit having a Skimmer-like
system alert you to stations that were not calling CQ or making QSOs.
Other assumptions about that definition would also be reasonable.

What is allowed and what is not allowed in using remote Skimmer is not
so clear, and the rules are subject to interpretation, given that:

Skimmer does not work without a receiver, yet all receivers must be
within a 500M circle for every category

A private Skimmer "spotting network" gives an unassociated nice guy
direct access to a receiver and code reader located on another
continent.

Anyone who has used it will tell you that Skimmer does not limit its
spots to those calling CQ even if you have that particular mode
selected.

There are several undefined terms for which assumptions must be made

My opinion is that everything would be crystal clear if the single
operator category, now that I read the other posts, were to be clarified
somewhat (specifically allowing someone to use more than one radio
although it is reasonable to assume that if it says only one transmitted
signal at a time, it would be OK to listen on more than one receiver)
and all other categories were allowed to use local Skimmer only. I would
like "ALL RECEIVERS MUST BE WITHIN THE 500M CIRCLE, INCLUDING ONES THAT
FEED CALLSIGNS FROM SKIMMER OR LIKE PROGRAM."

Even many who fought hard for allowing local Skimmer in the single
operator category thought remote Skimmer should not be allowed at all in
any category.

73...Stan, K5GO