[Skimmertalk] Skimmer use places op in Assisted category forCQWW

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Aug 12 08:29:26 EDT 2008

At 08:09 AM 8/12/2008, Paul J. Piercey wrote:
>CW Skimmer is nothing like the packet cluster. An operator can manually
>duplicate anything that the local Skimmer can do but cannot duplicate what
>the cluster does. While I agree that getting Skimmer data from a network
>should be equated to cluster use, the use of a local Skimmer should not.
>
>It'll be interesting to see how they enforce it. I would venture that this
>decision will create far more problems than it was intended to solve.

I think it is the right decision, but agree that it will be difficult to
enforce.  There is no external standard like the timing of packet spots to
use for a statistical detection of cheating.

However... assuming most folks won't cheat, I wonder whether (or when) one
of the top assisted ops will decide to use Skimmer to set the overall top
score in various contests.  SS is probably the top candidate for that,
given the importance of second-day rate.