Re: [TenTec] Orion 565 no audio or transmit

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 565 no audio or transmit
From: John Huffman <hjohnc@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 16:45:56 -0400
Barry -

It appears that I have fixed it. At least for the last hour or so. Fingers crossed.

I took off the front panel and undid the connectors and cables. I used a small brush to coat the pins with Deoxit. Plugged and unplugged them ten times (thanks Carl N4PY). No joy.

Today I started on the boards. I unscrew the board, coat the pins of the connector that plugs into the back plane, exercise them 10 times, and screw the board back in.

I started with A9 since I suspected it was a power issue.  No joy there.

I next went to the board next to A9 on the bottom towards the front. No joy. Flipped the radio over.

Did the front left board (IF?).  No joy.

Did the right front board (under the speaker).  It's alive!!!

The problem had progressed by that time so that it only took a short while for the problem to appear if it was not there when you first turn it on. Thus, I could test after each board cleaning.

As usual with my troubleshooting, I don't know what that board does or why it caused the problem. But, I did the things I could that were within my abilities and many times that works.

I'm just hoping that I won't have to take all this back if the problem reappears. If it does, my troubleshooting will be limited the boxing it up and sending it to Ten Tec.

Many thanks for the interest and suggestions from you and others here. Without that support I would probably have just boxed it up to begin with.

73 de K1ESE
John