Yaesu

[Yaesu] G-800SA troubles

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] G-800SA troubles
From: Scott Nichols <snichols@mvosprey.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:30:41 -0400
I have a 7 year old G-800SA rotor, turning a 4 el tri bander...

About a week ago, I attempted to turn the beam CW...The indicator took off,
likely twice as fast as normal, in the CCW direction...No matter which button I
pushed (CCW or CW), the needle kept going CCW at a faster-than-normal
rate...When I released the button, the indicator kept going maybe 25 to 30
degrees before it stopped...The beam was not turning during all this, and
appears to be locked, not swinging freely...Then, later that day, I could get
no movement at all by pushing any button...It was dead...During the past week,
I tried pushing the buttons again, with only sporadic movement, until the
indicator hit 180 degrees, then stopped again...Dead...

Today, I tried it again and no matter which button I push, the indicator takes
off in the CW direction, same faster-than-normal speed, same 25-30 degree stop
time...The beam is not turning still...

The red overlap light just came on when the indicator hit 90 degrees...

I can see no trouble on top of the tower from the ground...Everything appears
fine...

Something's not right here...I'm at a loss...Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Scott VE1OP