Yaesu

[Yaesu] Yaesu FT 101 Tunes up, but wont transmit

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] Yaesu FT 101 Tunes up, but wont transmit
From: bigtpranch@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 00:21:59 EST
I just purchased a Yaesu FT 101EE after getting my General license , twenty
years after getting my novice ticket so I am learning alot of new things that
werent required when operating my little Heath HW 8. I carefully studied the
manual, and tuned the transmitter into a dummy load prior to my first attempt
at
a phone contact. After switching to LSB (on 40 m band)  I attempted to set
the mic gain, per the manual, but there was no change in the ALC meter
regardless of the gain setting (it jumped to near full deflection and stayed
there with
the mic keyed). No output into the dummy load was seen. ( It did load up the
dummy load when in tune mode).  Would anyone have an idea where to look for a
problem? I've checked the mic with an ohmmeter, I have about 40 ohms at the
element and around 1200 ohms at the plug. Thanks for the help.

       Gary