Yaesu

Re: [Yaesu] FT-1000D and Alpha 87A

To: Yaesu List <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] FT-1000D and Alpha 87A
From: Steve Lawrence <smlx@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:18:56 -0800
The D's circuit looks like this:

The Band Data connections come from the RF unit. S1002 switches the collector of Q1029 to pin 2 of the Band Data connector. This device is a FA1A4P (NPN). It is a 50v (Vceo) 100 ma device. This transistor also operates the TX relay, RL 1005, at 12 volts. NEC device specs can be found at:

http://www.necel.com/cgi-bin/nesdis/o002_e.cgi? article=FA1A4P&doccode=DS&langcode=E

If you don't turn the TX relay off, you will wire-or the FT1000D's 12 volt line through the relay coil to whatever is connected to Band Data pin 2. NOT a good idea.

The circuit is designed to key only a positive voltage. Otherwise you must use an external switching interface or you will pop the transistor and then the TX relay won't work either.

I have been using a cable from pin 2 of the D directly to and the Alpha 87A "Relay" RCA connector for several years. I've never had a problem.

73, Steve WB6RSE