Yaesu

[Yaesu] FT-107M specific questions

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-107M specific questions
From: cait.martin@ibm.net (Caitlyn M. Martin)
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 09:20:42 -0500
Hi,

First, I'd like to thank everyone who responded.  The consensus seems to be
that this rig is a good performer.  Only one ham thought it was deaf, but he
had his for all of six hours, which makes me think it was a problem with his
rig, since everyone else liked theirs.  Most everyone agrees that the marine
rig color scheme hurt sales.  Most seem to think it's ugly.  I'm not exactly
concerned with that, as much as I like my stuff to be pretty.

The big concern was that if the counter IC in the display goes out, it is
not readily replaceable, making repairs difficult, but not impossible.  The
thing is, if I take this rig, I am getting it very cheaply, so I may be
willing to take that risk.  How common a problem is this?

The rig I am looking at is a later model with the WARC bands.  It appears to
be very clean, and comes with an SP-107P.  It's an estate sale rig, and the
person who has it now is not knowledgeable at all, and cannot tell me much
other than that it was recently checked in the shop and works properly.

OK, I see that there was a matching power supply (FP-107E).  Why?  The rig
seems to have an internal supply.  Was this an optional add-on, like on an
IC-751?  Is the external supply heavier duty?  When and why would I want
it???

What was the DMS option?  What did it do?

Will I want to look for the other matching accessories (VFO, tuner,
transverter)?  How good was the transverter?  Was it modular, as on the
FTV-707?  What bands were available, and could it hold multiple bands, like
the FTV-901?

What is this rig really worth?  I can get this one for $300.

My budget it tight right now, and I am committed to buying a TenTec Argo,
but... if this is really a steal, I don't want to let it pass, and will work
out the money parts.

I am really open to more opinions and answers.

Thanks,
Caity
hamgrrl KU4QD

Caitlyn M. Martin       cait.martin@ibm.net
http://www.caitys-world.com

"Good grief, man!  It's as simple as
Einstein's special theory of relativity!"
-Dr. Who, as portrayed by Jon Pertwee