Yaesu

[Yaesu] FT-847 CAT Woes...

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-847 CAT Woes...
From: rayd@en.com (Ray Dabkowski)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 20:54:34 -0500
Got home today to find the long-awaited FT-847 in a UPS carton on the front
step.  Before even pulling off the styrofoam blocks, I decided to read the
manual over dinner.  I was enjoying the excellent documentation until I got
to the CAT page.  Get this... there is NO OPCODE TO RETRIEVE OPERATING
FREQUENCY! or to load/save memories, or even to return current mode!  What
gives?

The manual mentions using the rig with 3rd party software for contesting
and logging -- obviously not with this major oversight!

I'm hoping it's one of 3 scenarios:

   (1) The documentation is wrong (acceptable scenario)
   (2) The opcodes are hidden (fair scenario)
   (3) A ROM upgrade is planned (poor scenario).

If it's none of the above, it will be shipped back.  Please, Yaesu, tell me
is isn't so! I hope a rep from Yaesu can jump on here and tell me I'm
wrong.  I don't want to start false rumors about what has been, until now,
a dream rig.

73 de W8RD - Ray (rayd@en.com)