Yaesu

[Yaesu] How to use FT 1000MP with SB 200

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] How to use FT 1000MP with SB 200
From: Glenn.McLeod@crc.doc.ca (Glenn McLeod)
Date: Sun, 18 May 97 21:30:53 EDT
Hi All,

         I posted the following about message on the 8th of April:

I would like to ask for a little help from the group. I have an SB200 still
very capable of putting out 700 watts,  I would like to use it with my MP
for RTTY, Pactor and Clover at about 150 to 200 watts that should go easy on
both the rig and the amp. True? So  I looked at the specs for the MP and
there is no way that I could use the MP relay to key the SB200.   I have
purchased a soft key module from Harbach Electronics and  that should solve
the relay problem.  Is that correct?  Now for the ALC.  The SB200 manual
states that the ALC voltage is about 10 volts DC as set by R 11 in the PS
bleeder network., this voltage is set and not adjustable as now configured.
The FT1000 manual section dealing with linear operations states (page 67)
Connect the RF output from the transceiver ANT jack (A or B) to the RF input
jack to the linear. Connect the ALC output from the linear to the EXT ALC
jack on the rear of the transceiver.   After.............. you may need to
adjust the ALC output level of the linear so that it is not overdriven by
the FT-1000MP  Your linear's manual should describe how to do this.

1. does anyone know what voltage the MP wants to see on the ALC line?

2. What is the required ALC voltage and polarity  I need to get from the
SB200 to control the MP?

3. Will the voltage need to be set on each band or will it be a set and
forget situation? e.g. find suitable value for R11  (700 ohms 7 watts) and
replace, or put in a pot.

        I received over 85 replies to my questions and while I had planned
to reply
 to each one individually I was simply swamped. I was also restricted to bed for
 about two weeks and that did not help. So I would like to take this
opportunity to
 thank every one for their time and suggestions .  I would like to pass on
the wealth
 of information and help I received and to pass on the solution I finally
implemented.

        no one gave a specific voltage,  voltage range or polarity for the
1000MP, however
 a number people indicated that they had connected the ALC line from
virtually all of the
 Heath line up of  Amps. None reported problems.  The vast majority ran
their Amp
 with no connection to the ALC jack .  With the majority  stating that the
FT 1000MP
 was incapable of over driving and as a result the ALC line was a non issue.

2.      DO NOT RUN THE MP WITH A STOCK AMP WITH YOU FT100MP USING THE
 Map's STOCK  RELAY.  IT WILL BURN  OUT IN SHORT ORDER.

        I  WAS GIVEN SEVERAL SOLUTIONS ALL OF WHICH  WILL WORK.  HOWEVER IF
USING
 A HEATH AMP  THE $15 SOLUTION FROM HARBACH ELECTRONICS GOT THE MOST VOTES
AND CAME HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I ORDERED THE MOD KIT FROM HARBACH AND
 WAS VERY PLEASED WITH THE SERVICE AND THE HELP.  BY USING OF THE HARBACH MOD
 WILL ALLOW YOU  TO USE OF THE BAND SWITCHING JACK  IF YOU WANT.   I  AM
USING THE
 MP's  RELAY.  MOST OF THE POPOSED SOLUTIONS WOULD HAVE BEEN JUST AS EFFECTIVE
 BUT WOULD HAVE COST MORE TO IMPLEMENT.  THE HARBACH MOD TOOK
 20 MINUTES TO INSTALL AND WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

         Again thanks to all who helped and hopefully this may help others
as well.

Tnx agn es 73 de Glenn VE3GLN