Yaesu

[Yaesu] FT-1000MP

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP
From: monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com (monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com)
Date: 24 Feb 1997 11:34:28 EST
Due to several people in the past few weeks asking about the FT-1000MP
and would I recommend it, I have to post this notice.  I have been
experiencing lack of transmit audio thru the monitor circuitry and thru
the metering circuits.  This happens while the EDSP is enabled.  RF is
getting out as indicated on an external watt-meter.  Numerous hours of
investigation as to the cause has led to some possible connection to the
RS-232 serial port.  It seems like the problem rears it's head whenever
I have done something like rig control thru a computer program.
Correcting the problem sometimes is possible by turning the rig off and
then back on, but not reliably.  Re-setting the microprocessor will do
it but is it annoying to have to reset all the menu settings I have
changed from the defaults.  I have had e-mail from one other owner with
this same problem, so it seems it may be endemic with the 'MP and not
just an anomaly with my rig.  Until I can get together with Yaesu and
find out what is going on and why and how they are going to correct it,
I would not recommend buying this radio.  I would hate so see anyone
else go thru this.  I will be writing a letter to Yaesu and will keep
the reflector informed of any input from their side.  Anyone else who
has had similar problems can contact me and I will keep a list of such
so that Yaesu will be alerted that this situation is not being "dreamed
up" by some raving ham lunatic!
73...Wally / KT1M

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.primenet.com/~ke7gh/yaesu.html