Yaesu

1000MP

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: 1000MP
From: km9p@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, KM9P)
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 21:21:38 -0400 (EDT)
At 08:42 PM 5/28/96 -0400, you wrote:
>vy nice showing....especially considering the length of your call! You liked
>the 'MP RX - tell the readers of the reflector (or just me) more, pse.

Jim,

This was my first use of the MP in a contest.  I can say for sure that I
doubt the RX is any better than the Omni-6 on CW.  I can also say for sure
that RX is the only place the two radios are on the same playing field.  The
MP is clearly the better radio.

The biggest thing I noticed this weekend was the fatigue factor.  Operating
40M this weekend on an IC-765 or 761 would have been torchor.  The MP
incorporates DSP on the front panel.  I pretty much leave it engaged the
entire time I operate.  There are many times you feel like the RX is dead,
but actually it's just the DSP taking out the HISS you hear on other radios.
Back to 40M... Normaly after operating the low bands on a noisy weekend I
end up popping some Tylenol to take care of the ripping headache I get from
trying to listen to one noisey band in one ear and another radio in the
other ear.  I didn't get that headache this weekend.  I believe it was the
radio.  Yes, you still get static crashes and you can't copy through them.
But the radio takes away the constant abuse you get on "normal" radios.  Now
maybe you can get this with an external DSP box... The last one I tried was
not anywhere close to the DSP in this radio.  One last note on the DSP...
This weekend was full of copying signals at or in the noise level on 20M.
The DSP tends to peak up those signals to level where you can copy them
easier.  Again subtracting from the fatigue factor.

Like I said before... I'll own another or an IC775DSP before this fall.
This radio is solid.  I had no "weird" things happen this weekend while
interfacing with the computer like with the Omni-6.  It didn't need to be
reset, etc... It just worked... which is what I expect from a radio.

73

Bill

| Contesting Online... The ultimate           |
| source of ham radio contest information     |
| http://www.contesting.com                   |