[WriteLog] K9JY WriteLog site update

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] K9JY WriteLog site update
From: Scot Herrick via WriteLog <writelog@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 14:26:09 +0000
All,

I've moved the hosting for my WriteLog help site - no change in domain name for
access or anything like that. You may see 'this site is not secure' for a bit
while the certificates get generated, but then it should be clean. If you get
that message, just click on Advanced and tell your browser to go to the site
anyway.

You will see a different, though similar, theme for the site as well as some
differences in how some pages are displayed - mostly a text side and images on
the other half of the page. As well, there are still a few things needing
updating. But enough of it is done to activate the new site.

For those who have never moved a site before, it's 'easy'. You export your site
in an XML format and then import that XML file to the new site. All the content
is (mostly) there - but it is not in the same order as the original site. You
end up having to review every page, copy and paste text, re-do the images from
the library (I use a LOT of screenshots), and format the text into proper
paragraphs because it mostly all runs together. It's taken a couple of weeks to
get it to this point after doing my day job.

I moved the site because the theme people I've been paying for years decided to
raise their price to $900(!) per year. This is one of those cases where
something elegant and simple starting out turned into feature after feature
after feature to the point where you don't use 90% of the features available.
(IMHO, there is a lot of software like this. See: Microsoft Word). And then
there are monthly hosting fees as well. This solution gets the pricing back to
reasonable.

Let me know if you see anything that needs correcting. You can be my editors!

73...Scot, K9JY

https://k9jy.com