Re: [WriteLog] Remote Internet log hints?

To: Gordon LaPoint <gordon.lapoint@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Remote Internet log hints?
From: Kevin Rowett <kevin@rowett.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 14:08:57 -0800
Gordon,

Hope to work you in RU.  I’ll be part of ND2T team, operating remotely to K6MTU.

The term has used WL internet log server, now for several contests.  Very,
Successfully.

WL Internet Server is very persistent, and QSO agnostic.  It will gladly accept
QSOs from any contest, and forward those QSOs to all connected writing
instances.  WL Internet Server keeps the QSOs in memory, so if you restart it,
the server will forget all the QSOs.  However, when the server restarts, any
and all connected log books will re-send all their QSOs to the writelog
internet server, which in turn, will send al the QSOs back to all the other log
books.

The net is - you have to work very, very hard to loose QSOs, or even DELETE A
QSO.  The only way to delete any QSOs out of a log connected to a WL internet
server is - stop the internet server. Restart all the log books that were
connected to it, LETE the QSOs from EVERY logbook, then, and ONLY then, restart
the WL internet server.

Like many, we often have practice QSOs in our logbook, prior to the start.
Because fo the above, it’s very difficult to get rid of those practice QSOs.
You can mark them as unclaimed. But, that doesn’t change the above behavior.

Worse, unless some care is taken, you can end up with QSOs from a different
contest, in all the logs.

Test and practice before the start of the contest. That will eliminate the
issues I’ve noted.

Our radio setup is different, so we won’t be using the RRC boxes.

GL!