Re: [WriteLog] Sending Shift F keys in SSB

To: "'Ken Widelitz'" <kwidelitz@gmail.com>, "'Writelog Forum'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Sending Shift F keys in SSB
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 18:32:51 -0600
I assume you have recorded a messaged named msg12.wav. If so, then go to
Setup > Document settings > CW/RTTY/SSB Messages.

When the CW/RTTY/SSB Memories window opens, click on "Shifted SSB" under
"Bank".

In the place for F02 type in "msg12" (without the quotes).

The way I do it is to create different .wav files in Audacity. For example,
my files are named #cq1.wav, #again.wav, #qsl.wav, #pleasecorrectmycall.wav,
whatisyourcalletc.wav, etc. The file #cq1.wav calls CQ. You get the point.
So in my F02 position I type #cq1 and when F2 is pressed, it sends the file
#cq1.wav.

I use # in front of the filename so that these special files are listed at
the beginning when I look in the WaveFiles folder. These special files are
listed ahead of files created for numbers and letters since I have recorded
files for 0.wav, 1.wav, 2.wav, etc plus files named a.wav, b.wav, etc.

This way if I put %C in a message and K6LA is in the entry window, it will
send four files K.wav, 6.wav, L.wav, A.wav and it will output "Kilo Six Lima
Alpha" in my own voice. I pair %C with a #59 and %3 to output "Kilo Six Lima
Alpa Five Nine Zero Zero One". It takes A LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT to get all
these files to sound right. But once it's done you have the files forever
and don't have to do it again.

Not sure this helps. I'm not really a SSB op but I did all this in 2018 and
competed in several SSB contests for the Grid Chase award. In CQ WPX that
year I made 1269 QSOs without the use of a microphone. I really loved that.

73, Don AA5AU