Re: [WriteLog] P49X Prefill file & Message SO2R vs SO1R

To: WriteLog@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] P49X Prefill file & Message SO2R vs SO1R
From: John Bastin <jebastin@fastmail.fm>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 16:53:55 -0500
> On 07 Jan 2015, at 16:06, W2GR--- via WriteLog <writelog@contesting.com>
> wrote:
>
> If 2 ops had the best identical  locations...stacks of  antennas etc...and
> 1 op used 1 rig at a time in a contest and the other  2...the op using 2
> rigs would ALWAYS beat the 1R op....no question..
>
> I just feel that SO2R should have their own category so we all could play
> against our peers...1R against 2R in the same category leaves the 1R ops
> always  underneath them...

I disagree, if SO2R is an advantage, it's because the SO2R operator has worked
to develop the additional skills necessary to make it work.

I played with SO2R a few years ago, and I found out quickly that working it
effectively is *hard*. It takes a lot of practice and a lot of work to build
the skills to be a winner using SO2R. The guy using SO2R doesn't win
automatically, he may win because he's *learned how to make it work.*

I don't really have an opinion one way or another whether SO2R is a separate
category or not...I'll still run one radio and compete the best I can, which is
what I think everyone is doing. But I will say definitely that if I get beat,
you will not hear me complaining about how many radios the other op was running.

73,

John K8AJS
jebastin@fastmail.fm