[WriteLog] Writelog/MMTTY/laptop problem

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog/MMTTY/laptop problem
From: "Ray Day" <rayday@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 12:15:27 -0800
Hi all,

I'm confused (this is not unusual).

I use Writelog with the MMTTY plugin (no 2Tone) on my station WinXP desktop
all is well. MMTTY "ham" selected (2125, 170, etc.). I have installed serial
interface cards in this computer so they're "hard" serial ports. 1 radio
only. COM1 is CW, COM2 is Rig, Com 3 is FSK key line. Software generated FSK
TxD. This has worked fine for years..and it still does.

I have the exact (as far as I can tell) same installation on my Win XP
laptop, although here I have COM4 as CW and COM1 as FSK line. I've checked
the setup screens on the MMTTY options tabs from within Writelog on the
desktop and the laptop - they're the same (different sound card, though).
Here I use a USB-to-Serial port device with FTDI chipset. The 1 difference I
see on the laptop is that in the Writelog MMTTY options / setup window, the
COM-TxD option is greyed out, so I select "sound," the only option, and all
works (except for the situation below). This never made sense, but it
worked, so...  Pretty sure the FTDI drivers are up to date, but not 100%
sure. Used Prolific chipset before, same problem.

I have MMTTY installed in C:\HAM\MMTTY and this is what I use for
non-Writelog RTTY. In \windows\writelog.ini, I have:
MMTTY_LOCATION=C:\HAM\MMTTY, so I think I've only got 1 instance of MMTTY
installed.

BUT here's the rub: I need RIT to tune answers to my CQ's with Writelog, and
the "+" display has on transmit the vertical line vertical, but he
horizontal line is rotated about 20 degrees counterclockwise from
horizontal. So (I think) with the RIT set as above, I can call CQers and be
on their frequency. Seemed to work with the NAQP RTTY from K6PV/6 (on
Catalina Island). But then maybe nobody took the time to tell me in the heat
of battle that I was off? I've duplicated this situation at home with the
interfacing gear I used then. Using MMTTY in standalone mode, the "+" is
fine in transmit.

BTW, in working this problem, I find that when I change the SHIFT number in
Writelog's MMTTY setup screen, the "+" during transmit looks about
perpendicular at 200 and 240 hz shift; I'm guessing the shift for a perfect
"+" is somewhere in between those 2 numbers. How can this be?

Any thoughts from the group? I really don't get what's happening here...

(PS: I'll be traveling from today (Thurs) until Sunday and don't know if I
can access the list, so if I don't respond immediately, please understand. I
wanted to get this off my chest before I travel.)

Thanks in advance and 73,

Ray N6HE