Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog and FT-2000

To: k7acz@cox.net
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog and FT-2000
From: "Dean St. Hill" <dmsthill@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 10:22:58 -0400
Hi Alan

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible but it could be a long haul
depending on a number of factors including your own knowledge of the
operating system, the rig and writelog.

The FT2000 serial cable needs to have what I believe is sometimes called
hardware flow control -  the RTS and CTS signakls which are found on pins 7
and 8 of the 9-pin DB9F connector.

In my experience most modern/newer cables do not have this signal present
but you can fix that by jumpering pins 7 & 8. So you'll need to somehow
confirm whether that signal is present - BUT most of these DB9 connectors
are molded plastic so you may not be able to just open it up and visually
check. You may therefore have to build a short extension and jumper in that
pin 7 & 8. I can give more detail if needed but let's try to see the high
level issues for the time being.

Next is the FT-2000 which has a default Menu 028 - of 4800 bps which should
be fine - but which you may have changed. You will at least need to make a
note of that value. It can be 4800, 9600, 192H (192000) or 384H (38400).

Next to writelog - when setting up it will show next to RIG TYPE - default.
I would simply select the same speed as you have under Menu 028.

FINALLY - And I'm not as familiar with rigblaster and its various drivers,
but just took a glance at the manual and it does mention that their
included serial cable has that jumper pins 7 to 8 already installed (See
STEP 8 - Rig Control). Basically the manual doesn't help me understand
exactly what the various drivers are but in essence my concern is that the
driver being used in some way believes the port is basically being used by
RIGBLASTER and therefore basically the port becomes unavailable to Writelog.

You may wish to simply review your set-up against the various points I've
raised and then see whaere you are. I'm willing to help as much as possible
off-list as well.

Regards and 73,

Dean - 8P6SH

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM, ALAN ZACK <k7acz@cox.net> wrote:

> I am a brand new user of WriteLog. I used it in the WPX SSB Contest just as
> a logger, no connections to the rig or PC just to learn it. Now I want to
> do
> the interfaces for rig control, digital modes, etc.
>

> I purchased a RigBlaster Pro to help me with this but can't get it to work
> for me so forget about the RigBlaster for now please.
>

> My PC runs Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2. It has 4 USB ports in
> the rear and one USB in the front. The RigBlaster people sold me cables
> with
> USB to Serial adapters built in to use. I installed their drivers and my
> Device Manager says they are operating properly. Device Manager assigned
> them COM4 and COM5 ports.
>

> As of right now I have the COM5 cable with a gender changer also supplied
> by
> RigBlaster connected to the DB-9 CAT connection on the FT-2000. This is my
> only connection between the FT-2000 and PC (no RigBlaster connections at
> all). I am assuming with just this cable I can send my frequency reading to
> WriteLog. I have gone to the WriteLog port setup window and told it to use
> COM5 with a FT-2000 with the default. But it says Port COM5 not available,
> access denied.
>

> All I want to do is do this in baby steps starting with rig control. All I
> have is a USB to serial cable between the FT-2000 and my PC. The USB to
> serial converter appears to be working from the info in the Device Manager
> window. But WriteLog does not see the connection.
>

> For you FT-2000 owners, is there something in the rigs menu I have to
> activate for it to see the PC to rig connection? I looked at the separate
> FT-2000 CAT manual but can't make any sense from it.
>

> So for now ignore the fact I have a RigBlaster for future use. What do I
> need for WriteLog to read the FT-2000 frequency?
>

> TIA & 73,
>

> Alan, K7ACZ

*Dean St.Hill*
*