Re: [WriteLog] Preset Exchange Files

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Preset Exchange Files
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 17:03:48 -0800
Jim,

To my knowledge there is no central repository of Call History files for use
in WL as preset exchange files.  In my experience the best option is to use
the adif file from the previous year's contest to prefill some parts of the
exchange for you.  The limitations of this are you will only get prefills
for stations that you worked last contest, not the entire universe of calls
in the contest, and the ever present danger that the information may have
changed since last contest.  People do move to new states or operate
portable from some other location.  In NAQP parties ops have been known to
change the name they used from a previous year.  So prefill exchanges have
both some benefits and some problems.

I've included a message from Kostas SV1DPI that came out just before the
IARU contest.  He put together a file of all the IARU stations so that the
exchange could be prefilled with something other than the country of the
call.  I downloaded it and put it the folder with my contest file prior to
the contest and a brief test showed it worked fine.  Then, the next day when
the contest actually started, the file would no longer fill in the correct
information and the country was entered as normal.  I still haven't figured
out why it worked once and then not again.

73,
Gary AL9A