Re: [WriteLog] MMTTY USERPARA.ini?

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] MMTTY USERPARA.ini?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 20:32:38 -0500
 > Funny thing is that my MMTTY installtion is working standalone.
 > But when I try to go to Writelog and start MMTTY, I get a straight
 > carrier.

"Carrier" is no a symptom of a problem with userpara.ini.  It is an
indication that there is a mismatch between the transceiver mode and
the MMTTY configuration.

MMTTY and most transceivers can operate in two modes - AFSK (usually
with the transceiver in LSB) or FSK (usually the transceiver's RTTY
mode).  When using AFSK, the only output required of MMTTY is tone
that sifts by 170 Hz from Mark to Space (thus the term Audio Frequency
Shift Keying).  For FSK the transceiver requires a switching signal -
generally a "closed" (or grounded) for Mark and "open" (or +5V) for
space.

If you are not getting a shift and your transceiver is in its FSK
(RTTY) mode, it is likely MMTTY is not generating that open/closed
FSK signal or the signal is not properly connected to the transceiver.

MMTTY requires the proper configuration of the PTT (or PTT & FSK)
port on the TX tab to generate the FSK signal.  If MMTTY works
stand-alone, that is probably configured correctly.  When MMTTY
is used as a plug-in in WriteLog, RTTYrite sets the value for
the PTT&FSK port when it launches the MMTTY plug-in based on the
port set in the RTTYrite "Ports" menu.

In order for MMTTY to produce the correct FSK signal. the specific
settings depend on your computer hardware and interface:

1) If you are using an 8250 compatible UART ("real" serial port),
microHAM "keyer" interface, or an Edgeport USB to serial adapter
you must select the FSK Port from the RTTYrite "ports" menu and
*MUST NOT* select "Software generated FSK TxD," "Software generated
FSK DTR" or "Hardware generated FSK."  All of the optional settings
prevent MMTTY from generating FSK.  In addition, if you are using
either a microHAM "Keyer" interface or an Edgeport USB to serial
interface, you must select option C "Limiting Speed" for the USB
Port setting in MMTTY's Misc tab.

2) If you are using a generic USB to serial converter, or a microHAM
USB Interface II or III, you must select the FSK port from the RTTYrite
Ports menu and *MUST* select either "Software generated FSK TXD" or
"Software generated FSK DTR" (depending on which pin is used by your
FSK interface).  In general if your FSK Interface is similar to the
one documented by AA5AU (FSK on TxD), you will use "Software generated
FSK TXD" while microHAM USB Interface II/III and some "designed for
MMTTY" interfaces will use "Software generated FSK DTR".

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV