Re: [WriteLog] Confusing AFC Option With WL/MMTTY.

To: "'Dick Flanagan'" <dick@k7vc.com>, "'Writelog'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Confusing AFC Option With WL/MMTTY.
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 18:12:52 -0600
The MMTTY plug-in for WriteLog was written by Jorgen, SM6SRW, many years ago.
I can't speak for Jorgen on why this feature was
added but I can speculate on it.  Before MMTTY, most WriteLog users used
WriteLog's own decoder called "WinRTTY".  It is the
author's (Wayne W5XD) decoder and is still available under the TU Type menu as
"Soundboard AFSK" and "Soundboard FSK".  By default,
with WinRTTY, if you check the AFC box, it will latch onto a signal much like
MMTTY and as soon as anything was entered into the
Entry Window, such as clicking on a callsign, AFC turns off and the decoder
stays on the frequency where the last signal was
decoded.  Once the contact was logged or the call cleared from the Entry
Window, AFC turns back on.  This worked quite well
actually.  So I'm guessing that when Jorgen created the MMTTY plug-in for
WriteLog, he wanted to retain the feature that WinRTTY
already used.

By the way, WinRTTY is a pretty good decoder on its own but not quite as good
as MMTTY.  Something I hadn't thought about before was
using it in a cloned window as a 2nd decoder.  I really like the display.  It
makes for very fast tuning especially when S&P.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com