Re: [WriteLog] Cabrillo output

To: Writelog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Cabrillo output
From: John Bastin <jbastin@sssnet.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 06:43:37 -0500
On Dec 6, 2010, at 02:07:09, Dick Green WC1M wrote:

> So why has this become a problem now? I've used the same technique to
> successfully send my log for years: I generate the Cabrillo log and tell
> Writelog to email it. The email comes up and I hit Send. I've never had to
> select Plain Text in the past. Why now?

Maybe because now the e-mail client software defaults to sending html or RTF,
instead of plain text which it always was, in the past. The e-mail program
designers think it's a feature, instead of the waste of bandwidth it really is.

> Has there been a change in how
> Writelog interfaces to the email client,

No, the change has probably been in the mail client. You don't see it, as the
sender, it looks fine and you send it out. It's amazing the kind of junk that
comes in my incoming email from mail clients that aren't sending plain text.
AOL outgoing mail is especially bad about this.

> or has there been a change in the
> robot such that it now can't extract an attachment from an email in HTML
> format?

There's no reason why the robot should have to jump through hoops to extract a
plain text Cabrillo file attachment from an e-mail message that should also be
plain text.

> One way or another, I think this is a bug.

No way. The Cabrillo file is plain text. There's no reason the message carrying
it should have to be anything else.

73,

John K8AJS
jbastin@sssnet.com