Re: [WriteLog] Writelog in CWSS

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Writelog in CWSS
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:09:58 -0900
Ted,

What do you have programmed in your F4 message buffer?  Unless you have
defined instructions for WL on how to handle dupes it will just send the
normal message.  You can define dupe handling in your message buffer by use
of the %B instruction.  For example, I use F3 for my exchange message
location and have defined the Insert key to send the F3 message key in
writelog.ini.  My F3 key buffer is programmed as follows:

%C %Bb4 b4 tu al9a%Bnr% u al9a 78 ak

The part of the message between the two %B's is only sent if the call is a
dupe.  So the first time I work you in SS hitting the Insert key sends:

K2QMF NRn U AL9A 78 AK

If I've already worked you hitting the Insert key sends:

K2QMF B4 B4 TU AL9A

I don't understand why your F4 message is not being sent in other contests
if the call is a dupe without some special handling instruction for WL.

I noticed the same behavior in the Packet Spots window where the "Follow Me"
selection did not work.  In fact, if I remember correctly, selecting "Follow
Me" suppressed all spots from showing in the Packet Spots window.  There are
also no choices for selecting spots for a specific band, only "All Bands" or
"Follow Me".  I think this is the normal behavior for the SS contest module.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I suspect the logic is due to the
nature of the SS rules.  The goal is to work all ARRL sections, but you can
only work any station once.  Unlike a normal contest with mults based upon
country, which can be discerned from the call, the SS contests do not have
"mults" and the section cannot be determined by the call itself.  There are
no single band entry categories; all entrants are considered to be all band
ops.  Thus there is no need for specific band choices.  It seems the contest
module wants you to see all unworked calls as they may be in a section you
need.  That being said, I too would like the "Follow Me" choice to function
normally.

73,
Gary AL9A