Re: [WriteLog] CW gibberish

To: "Barry" <w2up3@verizon.net>, <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] CW gibberish
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:53:27 -0900
Also using a Dell laptop, but under Vista, with 2 gig RAM and 2 USB serial
adaptors.  No CW gibberish problems THIS time, but have had problems in the
past from time to time.  As others have noted, it's Windows, not WL.
Something running in the background makes a call and Windows happens to be
busy at just the moment you want to key CW.  I hit ESC to abort the message
and start it over.  It almost always works on the next try.

The suggestion to shut down everything running in the background is not
feasible these days unless you are a real propeller head.  I just started up
Task Manager and it shows I have 86 processes running in the background,
most of which I have no idea what they are doing.  About the best I can do
is go to the Control Panel and turn off system sounds (for SSB contests),
Windows automatic updates (which often require a reboot), Windows Sidebar
utilities and McAfee virus scan updates.  Then cross my fingers and hope!
If it stutters I'm sure the other station probably suspects why.  At least I
have a computer based excuse.  Some of the hand sent code I heard this
weekend was unbelievable!  What in the world is their excuse?

73,
Gary AL9A