Re: [WriteLog] PGP for dummies

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] PGP for dummies
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:03:16 -0700
At 06:41 PM 2008-06-09, Wayne, W5XD wrote:
>4. Right click in the All Keys tab on the newly imported
>key and choose "Sign". Pay attention to the dialog that
>comes up. Here is where your security really comes from.
>Do you really know that key is what you think it is?
>The pgp_signatures web page above describes the risks
>you are taking at this step.

Wayne,

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this in detail.  The
"Sign" operation for your public key was the step that I had
missed.  After doing this, I was able to verify the .sig for the WL
installation .exe file.

There are so many layers to PGP that it gets a bit confusing to the
neophyte.  Many of the terms and concepts aren't too intuitive until
you've had a chance to work with them successfully.

BTW, I found this helpful:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-best-version-of-pgp.htm .  After
reading this, I installed PGP version 6.5.8 CKT freeware, build 8,
which seems to work well in Win XP (SP2).

Your commitment to personal computer security is greatly appreciated!

73, Terry N6RY