[WriteLog] Fresh Install

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Fresh Install
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:10:09 -0500
Yesterday I posted an email to the reflector asking about the contest module
dll files and how often they're updated.  Apparently what happened and why I
couldn't get Pat set up for IARU last weekend with writelog was that
although both copies of WL were exactly the same (10.59d), the .dll files
associated with the IARU contest (iaruhf32.dll) were different dates.  This
prompted my question to Wayne about how often are the dll files updated or
even checked to see if updates are needed.

Apparently not when one installs an update.  I downloaded and installed
10.60G on both machines and the iaruhf32.dll file remained at their
respective dates on both machines.  One was dated 2005 one was dated 2002.
Because of this, the right machine refused to merge logs when linked with
the left computer because of a perceived Zone missing (which it wasn't).

So I mailed Ron requesting the direct link for fresh install.  I uninstalled
everything related to Writelog using Add/Remove.  I went into the registry
and removed everything associated with Writelog, W5XD, and anything in the
c:\ham directory.  There are TONS of .dll and .ocx files registered there,
and doing this is not intended for the lighthearted or those scared of
messing with the registry (note, export it BEFORE you edit it).  And for
those who'll ask, YES I even began the process of simply copying the files
from the computer with the newer version of iaruhf32.dll over to the one
with the older version.  You want to know what happened?  There were several
files on the "older" computer that had NEWER .dll files.  So some were older
on the left and some were older on the right.

I then deleted the C:\Program Files\Writelog directories on one computer,
and the C:\Ham\Writelog directories on the other computer (first glaring
point of disparity, two different install directories, two different
original install versions).  I moved (not deleted) the wlkey.ini and the
Writelog.ini files.

I then rebooted everything, and proceeded to install 10.60G.  Both installed
correctly without problems.  I installed the SM6 and the DL contest modules,
and the MMTTY plug-in.  I downloaded from K1EA, the new WL_cty file, Don's
AA5AU rtty file and Randy's Master.dta files and saved those in the WL
directory (now both c:\program files\Writelog).  Rebooted.

I then took my time reconfiguring all of the settings allowed from within
the program, rig, cw port, mmtty addin, supercheck partial locations, etc
etc, making sure to Save Configuration after EVERY change.   Then the time
had arrived.

I opened Explorer and began the process of editing the .ini file.  Although
it was there, nothing beyond the settings that had been populated by the
program itself were present.  In layman's terms, nothing from the help
file's "INI File Settings" section was there.  This means that a freshly
created .ini file does not have any of the additional changes made to the
program.  So I opened the ini file help topic on one computer and began
adding all of the necessary settings to the other's ini file.  There are
plenty of them, and to be honest, probably more then half of the ones that I
added, that I wanted, I had no idea existed.  Cool things like how far do
you turn the vfo before its considered you're tuning, and thus it'll
automagically wipe the qso entry box, pretty cool.  Bottom line is you have
to go through the help file's ini section one line at a time and decide what
you want to add, and how to configure it.  It's the only way you'll find out
about all of the neat things added to the program over time.

With all of this information, I spent till about 11:30 last night
reconfiguring these two computers.  I believe they're all set and ready for
NAQP this weekend, we'll see.  Im not sure if I'll start with tcp/ip or go
straight to NetDDE.  I've had good luck with TCP except for the WPX fiasco
last month for Pat.

For those who are not weak in the knees about uninstalling and editing the
registry and if you've had WL installed for quite a while, and you've added
a second computer, you may very well be advised to do the uninstall and
clean up the directories and registry entries, and then do a fresh reinstall
using the latest version you're eligible for.  This weekend I'll see if all
the work was worth it.

Charlie
KI5XP