Re: [WriteLog] Setting Time for BARTG

To: Dick-w0raa <w0raa@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Setting Time for BARTG
From: George K3GP <k3gp@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:04:20 -0500
Dick-w0raa wrote:
> Is there anything special that needs to be done to set the time sent in
> the BARTG contest this weekend?  Will WL just pick up the time of the
> computer and transmit that time?
>
> Oh, BTW, in the past couple contests I have sent out my new call of
> W0RAA and stations using Super Check Partial see W0RA and call me using
> that call, thinking that W0RAA is not correct.  I mentioned it to Don
> Hill and he said that he hasn't seem W0RA in a contest in quite some
> time.  So, if any of you contesters see W0RAA this weekend, it's me, and
> W0RAA "IS" a correct call.  My old call was WB0DUL.
>
> Good luck & hope to CU in the contest this weekend.
Dick:

Writelog uses the time from your computer for the exchange. I keep my
computer clock set to GMT at all times to avoid confusing the operator (me).

I have the same problem with grabbing the wrong call from Super Check
Partial users - I only sign K3GP/8 (I'm in Ohio) for those contests,
like BARTG, that require it. Both K3GP and K3GP/8 are in the files used
by SCP, and often when I'm forced to use K3GP/8 the user on the other
end in a RTTY contest clicks on call but only picks up K3GP which is all
that is highlighted. We waste valuable time getting the /8 added back on.

I detest having to use /8 since (including the shift character) it
almost doubles the length of my callsign.  I understand it is a
necessary evil for BARTG and other contests that use US call areas as
multipliers.

Have Fun!

_________
333-3333