[WriteLog] AA5AU Status

To: <karl@kaukis.com>, "writelog" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] AA5AU Status
From: "Dave W7DPW" <w7dpw@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:58:41 -0700
Don Posted this on RTTY reflector.

dave W7DPW

----- Original Message -----
From: <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 8:17 AM
Subject: [RTTY] AA5AU off the air indefinitely

> Tuesday I went back to check on the house.  It didn't look too bad
from the outside, despite both towers being down.  But when I went
inside, it was a mess.  I have major roof damage and rain water caused
the ceiling to fall in 4 rooms.  House is not livable right now.

> Used 4 tarps on the roof on Tuesday, drove back to Lafayette Tuesday
night for more tarps and a shop vac.  Went back Wednesday and spent
Wednesday night at the house with my generator providing power.
Finished roof covering on Wednesday - ended up using eleven tarps.  Got
one of my towers off my neighbor's roof yesterday.  Much more work to do
when they allow us back in.  They've locked Jefferson Parish down until
further notice.

> Pictures at http://aa5au.com/katrina/katrina.html.  There will be more
pictures on this page when I get time.  Right now have to go to the tent
where the insurance company is handing out dispersement checks.

> Looks like I'll be off the air for a while although I did put up my
HF2 vertical Wednesday night (I had taken it down before the storm)
thinking I was going to have to get someone on 40 meters to call my wife
to let her know I was OK, when all of sudden my cellphone started to
work.  But it only works at night for some reason.

> More updates as warranted.  Thanks to everyone for their well wishes.
It's encouraging to know I have so many wonderful radio friends out
there and it does help.