RE: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking

To: <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking
From: "Bob McCormick W1QA" <writelog@W1QA.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:52:05 -0400
> Based on Microsoft's life cycles, you might
> want to consider making the break at Windoz 2000.

I wonder how many individuals' (e.g., non-business) systems
are running Windows 2000 Professional?  My observation had
been that W2K Pro was pretty much deployed in a business
environ but not that many end-users adopted it.

FWIW ...

25 Oct 2001 = release date of Windows XP to the public

That's almost 3 years ago!

Very soon (next month or two) we will have:

Windows XP SP2 (aka Service Pack 2)

IMO, this should really be called Windows 2004 ...
(or whatever the marketing people would like to call it)

There are a lot of changes coming - good changes.
But enough changes that I would look at this as
a pretty good revision of the operating system.
Improvements in security - greatly affecting
how network software works.

(One could view this similarly to what Microsoft
did with Windows 95 A & B, or Windows 98 / 98 SE.)

If I were developing something for today ...
I won't even consider Windows 2000 at this point.
(If it were to work on that platform, cool ...
but I wouldn't go out of my way to make it a
design requirement or do testing on it.)

my 0.02 worth ...

Bob W1QA