Re: [WriteLog] Best RTTY decoder

To: "Jim Smith" <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Best RTTY decoder
From: "Donald Eriksen" <don.wsixffh@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:08:19 -0800
I did much searching of 3830 for your story with no luck, could you be more
specific where it's located? I'd like to read it.

I'm surprised you ever had trouble with RITTY copy below S5, you must have
had very low level audio from your sound card. I've always used a small
cheapie Optimus (Radio Shack) stereo amplifier on my sound card output with
a nice big volume control and I routinely copy signals that barely register
on the S meter with RITTY.

That speaks well of the PK-232 that it would approach RITTY or MMTTY in weak
signal copy. I've never used one.

I agree with Bill, W6WET (below) Ritty still beats even MMTTY in most low
signal cases. But, it's harder to tune than MMTTY. That's why I love the
"clone" receive only function (thanks, Wayne), now I can use RITTY in RX and
leave the Autotune on to keep the pips in the windows and use MMTTY for
transmit and leave its AFC off. To me, that's the best performing setup I've
found.

Don W6FFH