[WriteLog] WriteLog W5XD MK-1100 Multi-Keyer

To: "'Writelog Reflector'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WriteLog W5XD MK-1100 Multi-Keyer
From: "Art Searle W2NRA" <w2nra@birdsandbeacons.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:52:33 -0500
IMO the WriteLog W5XD MK-1100 Multi-Keyer DOES NOT function as intended with
WriteLog and my Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark-V Field on com port 1 using Windows XP.

I cannot connect up this keyer so that I have the option of using PTT and
QSK.  Setting up for QSK works fine as long as you do not connect a PTT
cable between the rig and the keyer.  If you connect this cable the keyer
works fine for PTT keying only.  If you turn off PTT in the port settings by
setting "Comm PTT" to "No" and "CW PTT" to "None (e.g. QSK)" you would think
you would be set up for QSK keying.  Nope!  Doing this results in weird and
inconsistent output that is not QSK.  Also the rig will key in this weird
way even if the rig's BK-In is off.  And the rig will key even if you switch
the keyer from "left" to "right".  (BTW I am assuming that left and right
can be software chosen.)  The weird keying results in erratic power output
that is inconsistent.  If I disconnect the PTT line QSK works fine.

I wouldn't think setting the keyer up so that you have a choice of PTT or
QSK would not be so unusual.  PTT for contests and QSK for casual operating.
I've tried this using the same serial port for both keyer and rig control
and different serial ports for each.  I have tried everything I can think
of.  It this the way this keyer is suppose to work?

BTW One thing that does work very well is the microHam USB to Serial
adapter.  It does everything.  It controls the rig.  It allows WriteLog to
properly key the rig using either PTT or QSK.  IF only I could get DXBase
2004 to key on the same port as the Keyer (I know it doesn't) I'd be singing
the praises of the WriteLog keyer and trying to sell it!  I may sell it
anyway.

73,
Art
W2NRA