RE: [WriteLog] Voice-keying of automated serial numbers

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Voice-keying of automated serial numbers
From: "Bob McCormick W1QA" <writelog@W1QA.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:39:44 -0500
> I'm firmly convinced there are potential improved
> options for dealing with the matter of voice-keying
> for automating "Serial Numbers".  For those of your
> interested in such matters, I'm sharing some additional
> thoughts I sent to a similarly interested party on
> one of the logger forums who I'm corresponding with
> directly...as well two other logger authors.
[snip]

I would like to hear the opinions of some non-English
speaking users on this one ...

Although my first language is English I have some
skills in French and Dutch.

I'm also a very good touch-typist.

Personally I would rather type the numbers in an
ordinal sense progressively ... even when someone
reads me numbers in a business sense, I find it a
LOT easier to type in 1234 hearing: one-two-three-four,
versus one-thousand two-hundred thirty-four. Yuck!

In some languages, native speakers would say
34 as four and thirty.

Another example: I also very commonly use the
Queen's English in my conversation ... and when
giving numbers I will very often say "double" ...
whilst that may be common in countries where
the Queen's English is spoken - it appears to
be very confusing for US people.  To wit:
the phone number 377.2200 I often say as:
three-double-seven-double-two-double-zero.
Rolls off my tongue really fast ...
what was that number?  I have no problem
copying (and typing that) ... but how many
other people would?

As for the K6VVA example on that web URL ...
if the serial number was 4345 ... personally,
I would never want to hear it said as
forty-three-forty-five.  Ugh.  Please don't.

Maybe I should just stick to CW ...

Bob W1QA