RE: [WriteLog] WL not saving configuration "right"

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] WL not saving configuration "right"
From: "Dennis J Hoffmeyer" <kg6giq@antelecom.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 06:30:01 -0000
I'm going to apologize first for the use of bandwidth on the Writelog
reflector.  I personally felt that some background information might
clear up some of the latest posts that keep going back and forth.
Anyways please excuse me for the bandwidth consumption and if this was
fully covered already but the messages have gotten a little out of hand.

The methodology that Microsoft uses for drop down menus is
Alt-<character> sets the drop down menus into motion.  From there the
menus are considered to be the top level window (In the foreground) so
there is no Alt key typically needed to "hot key" to one of the menu
items.  This is the standard used for all visual development suite
products and can be referenced on proper development from the MSDN
portion of the Microsoft site.  However this behavior may act
differently with the use of Microsoft's latest Visual development suite
labeled Dot Net.  Since I have not upgraded personally to these products
I cannot confirm whether there is a difference or not in programming
with them.

Now for Microsoft's operating systems and changes that have occurred
with the Alt key functionality.  In Windows XP Microsoft made a change
that hides the default underlining of the Alt key functions.  In order
to see the underline you now have to hit the Alt key for it to be
displayed.  However this can be change by the user if they feel like
they want everything looking like older versions of Windows.  This is
done by the following steps.

1. Right click the desktop and select Properties
2. Select the Appearance tab.
3. Click the Effects botton.
4. Uncheck the last item "Hide underlined letters for keyboard
navigation until I press the Alt key".
5. Click OK twice.

Now in Writelog or any other programs the Alt key (underlining) will be
displayed on the general menus.  Maybe with this insight some of this
discussion can now be put to rest and Writelog technical issues can be
the focus from now on.

73,
Dennis J Hoffmeyer
KG6GIQ