[WriteLog] PC / WriteLog audio setup

To: <writelog@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: [WriteLog] PC / WriteLog audio setup
From: "Bob McCormick W1QA" <writelog@W1QA.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:14:56 -0400
Looking for some pointers or suggestions regarding the
station setup for WriteLog, computer and audio.

Last year at NC1I we started using WriteLog ...
and recently we successfully implemented the W5XD
keyer setup for CW.

Now I'm in the process of trying to setup the computer
and WriteLog for SSB contests (last year we used an outboard
voice keyer and a lot of 'ole style talking).

The problem appears to me to be poor audio input levels ...
but I figured I'd bounce things off the list here to see
if there's something else I'm overlooking.  Hopefully we're
using common, well used contester aparatus!

- Heil ProSet Plus with HC4 or HC5 elements
- Windows 98 based WriteLog computer
- integrated SB16 compatible sound card
  (passes the sound card check utility; supports full duplex)
- Heil mic plugged direct into sound card mic input
- 20 dB "audio boost" set on mic input control panel
- volume controls set nearly at max
- sound card line out to 600 ohm 1:1 isolation
- into mic input on Yaesu FT1000MP

We get audio through to the rig ... but as one may expect,
with all the levels cranked up its pretty crappy quality.

Have read through the info on K9JY's site ...
as well as other places ...

My observation is that the problem lies with the input;
in using the Windows Sound Recorder applet ... do not
get much amplititude deviation in the graphic window.

Is a simple pre-amp like what's referred to on the
epanorama.net web site all that's needed?

Additionally, I found a reference that suggested
the following circuit as input to the rig's audio:

L o    )(    R1
n t    )(    R2         FT1000MP

R1=470 ohms  R2=100 ohms  R3=2.2k ohms
600 ohm 1:1 Radio Shack transformer