[WriteLog] Sound Card Reality Check

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Sound Card Reality Check
From: shr@ricc.net (W0UN--John Brosnahan)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 21:26:57 -0600

Configuring the new logging computers and have decided to go

with two sound cards--one integrated and one added on.  I
think

this will give me the ultimate flexibility for RTTY and I hope to

be able to use one for a voice keyer and the other one for

recording the contest.

The motherboard has a built in AC97 sound chip which has scored

a 7f on the compatibility tests for WriteLog.  So this will be the

integrated system.  And I have seen the suggestion that the
two

cards be different to reduce setup confusion.  And I believe
the

best SoundBlaster compatibility comes by buying a true
SoundBlaster.

So it looks like the cheapest solution using a true SB board is the

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live 5.1 PCI Sound Card---for $30.

Just wonder if anyone sees any potential for shooting myself in

the foot by using this SB board along with the AC97 integrated

sound chip?

A few votes that it should work or that the SB Live 5.1 is a good

board would give me a bit more confidence before I order two of
these

boards--for the two logging system computers I am building.

And if anyone has had real problems with the SB Live 5.1 or the

combo of an AC97 and the SB Live 5.1 please let me know.

And if there is anything to gain by buying one of the newer SB

boards (Audigy 2) let me know if it is worth the serious cost

difference.

Thanks--John&nbsp;&nbsp; W0UN

text/html (html body -- converted)
---