[WriteLog] Ports

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Ports
From: gbaron@charter.net (Gil Charter)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 16:01:15 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: writelog-admin@contesting.com [mailto:writelog-admin@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of K4SB
Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 1:49 PM
To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Ports

GILBERT BARON wrote:
> This is the one spot I totally disgree with you. There IS
> a GOOD reason to go to either WIN2000 or WINXP, and it is
> called resources.
> If you are going to run only Writelog then 9X is OK, I
> guess?
---------------------
Sorry, but you're dead wrong. Resources are to a great deal, a
function of memory.

Above the low part of memory resources have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with
memory IN ANY WAY. WIN98 cannot use resources beyond the fixed area NO
MATTER HOW MUCH memory you add. It can run faster if resources are not
streched becaues the APPLICATIONS are in memory and not  running out to disk
all of the time.. Ask MICOROSFT, ask anyone that knows how windows works and
you will get the same answer. Sorry but you are wrong and I am right here.

The word  resources in the windows (Win98 and below) world means the fixed
area allocated in low memory by Windows to keep track of what is happening.
Applications can suck this up, each one you load uses a lttle more. Pretty
soon you are out and it does not matter if you have 128K or 1 gig, you are
still out. That is when trouble starts.

IF you know HOW to run 98, you will never have a problem. One of the

This helps IF AND ONLY IF the problem is not enough memory to hold your
applications but that is seldom the problem. You can make things run better
here by judicous use of virtual meemory but almsot always windows does this
job best. If you are running several memory hungry applications you will
find them a bit faster if you ad memory (up to a point) but it does not help
the resoruce problem (which is more dependant on HOW MANY applications are
running concurrently than anything else.

better solutions is to manage your own Virtual memory. Then shut down
all unnecessary programs with a
Control-Alt-Delete. If you're running WL in the CQ 160 for example, I
hardly think you need to worry about virus protection, and do you need
a modem? Why would you still need your media player for cw? And, take
a look at all the junk 98 installs. Chat, Plus, Outlook Express, and
probably another 5 or 6 sections of 98 have been permanently removed.
And the registry cleaned of all the garbage.

Yes you are sving resources here but it is because you are running fewer
tasks. I would much rather be able to keep these running and when using such
as DXLABS (not for contesting) that has as many as 15 or 20 tasks at once,
you are not goign to hack it with WIN98. I think hat sutie is nmore than
enough reason to buy WIN2000 or WINXP or even go to EBay and get NT which
also allows all fo mewmory for resources as needed, and you can get NT
cheap.

The only reason to stick with 98 in my opinion is if you have programs that
need DOS. Even writelog and other programs that want to use the LPT port
work with a port driver, several of which are avaialable free.

There is no longer any reason to run any program that requires DOS. Writelog
fixed that, took over from TRLOG which is the only previousreason I can
think of but Writelog (and XP which has no DOS) are the death knell for
TRLOG.

My main shack computer is an Intel 750 with 256K of memory. A Matrox
dual output video card and I assure you I can run as many as 7
different programs on it simultaneously, and never have to worry about
resources. Just never tried more than that.

Right now, I have 5 different programs running, Norton doing its'
thing, Norton firewall doing its' thing, and NOTHING disabled.

XP is a fine program, and 98SE will do all you want.

73
Ed