[WriteLog] CW interfce with XP via serial port

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] CW interfce with XP via serial port
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 08:36:23 -0700
On Wed, 29 May 2002 22:44:13 -0700, Brad Rich wrote:

>Anyone out there interfaced Writelog's CW serial interface using the circuit
>diagram found in the documentation with XP with success?  If so, what driver
>did you use?  Anything else that can help me will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks you in advance for your help.
>
>Brad Rich
>N6GR@san.rr.com

Are you wanting to use the optocoupler shown on page 152?  If you don't
have an opto, a transistor (shown below the opto for LPT port) will work
just fine.  Use the pin connections shown on page 150 for DTR and GND.
You can use just about any small NPN transistor, not just the 2N2222.
Radio Shack sells a package of them pretty cheap.  The whole circuit can
be built inside the DB-9 or DB-25 housing, so you don't need a separate
box or circuit board.  After I got mine working, I filled up the DB-
housing with silicone rubber to make sure nothing would come loose or
short out.  If you use silicone rubber, use the kind which does NOT
smell like vinegar, since the acetic acid you smell is corrosive.  The
kind made for sealing aquariums works great and can be had at any pet
shop.

It shouldn't make any difference using XP vs older Windows versions.
I'm using the same circuit with XP that I did when I had Win98.

Hope this helps.

Bill, W7TI