[WriteLog] Erratic Cw

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Erratic Cw
From: k5zd@charter.net (Randy Thompson, K5ZD)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 18:17:33 -0000
This is a fairly common problem that is a result of the way Windows 95/98
handle multi-tasking (they don't).  As a result, other processes running on
the computer can steal enough CPU cycles to mess up the CW sending.  It can
be lessened by a faster computer, but not completely.

There have been a number of discussions surrounding this problem on the
reflector.  You might want to tour the archives.

The answers boil down to the following:

- Get a W5XD external keyer.  This removes the dependence on the computer
for sending completely.

- Unload all processes that you can.  The best suggestion I have seen (and
that worked for me) was to unload any drivers that are accessing the LPT
port (e.g. printer, scanner).

What makes this problem so difficult is that it doesn't always happen.  CW
will send fine for awhile.  Then you have a period where everything sounds
awful.

Good luck!

Randy, K5ZD