[WriteLog] Sound board bad audio

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Sound board bad audio
From: kc0czi@midmoskywarn.net (Kevin Brown - KC0CZI)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:05:13 -0600
I hate to be picky... but describe "bad".

Does the audio contain some sort of constant hum?  At what frequency?

What codec are you using to record?  Are you using the microphone you
actually contest with or something less (like a computer headset or boom
mic <-- terrible quality!)?

Is a 1:1 transformer appropriate?  What are the input/output impedance
of your devices?

I would suggest using your Heil microphone to record with.  If you have
the drivespace, make higher quality recordings, knowing that the
bandwidth won't transfer 100% on the air.  Use a respectable recording
software...maybe one with the ability to perform some after-the-fact
dynamics processing (read compression and bandpass abilities).