[WriteLog] More Networking

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] More Networking
From: ea3gip@ea3gip.net (Fidel Leon Martin)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 20:05:56 +0200

On 26/09/01 at 10:40 Jerry Pixton wrote:

>My new computer is running Win2000 and has only TCP/IP for a network
>protocol. My portable runs Win2000 and has both TCP/IP and NetBEUI for
>network protocols.

        Some light already given in the reflector!

>I set up user accounts on both machines per help files (which are not too
>useful in telling you how to set up a user account or what permissions are
>needed???  I guess if we are going to keep logs in sync that "write"
>permissions are needed???)

        As far as I know, each computer must use a DIFFERENT copy of the log.
If you keep each copy in a local machine (and I would do so, in order to
prevent dependence to a central computer), you don't need Write access from the
other machine, since the qsos are comunicated via the network, and actually, is
the local Writelog that writes the remote computer's qsos.

        Anyway, it could be prevented because of wrong or incorrent user
credentials.

>I set up. Says wrong password. I can connect however, using my
>Administrator account?????

        If both computers run Windows 2000 Professional, each computer has its
own user database, so you must have the user you use in one computer,
duplicated in the other. Passwords don't have to match, but then, you will be
asked for it.

        Do you have a blank, or the same, Administrator password in both
computers? If so, read above hi.

>So it looks like I have a half duplex link using the NetBEUI interface on
>the portable????? The TCP/IP link from the portable to the main computer
>will not set up with any user except Administrator?????

        You just have one protocol in common in both computers: TCP/IP. So,
it's the only used. Surely, the user you enter in the computer that can link to
the other computer, is already in the other computer's database.

        73,

Fidel Leon - EA3GIP
ea3gip@ea3gip.net