[WriteLog] IOTA entry field

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] IOTA entry field
From: dez@cytanet.com.cy (Dez in Cyprus)
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 13:32:46 -0000
Clive and other prospective IOTA contesters:

I too found that Writelog does not accept EU5, AS4 etc. in the IOTA field.
Writelog seemingly prefers you to enter leading zeros, like EU005.

When you try logging EU5, the contest exchange is sent, but then an error
message pops up
and warns you that the IOTA field is invalid. The QSO is not logged.

Like you say Clive, would very frustrating in the middle of IOTA!

I've had a look into it, and think I've found a workaround, that is until
someone
smarter than me finds the correct solution for accepting IOTA references
such as EU5
(vice EU005).

Here it is:

1. From the toolbar menu select Contest

2. Select Exchange Format Setup...

3. In the Exchange Fields window on the left hand side highlight IOTA

4. Uncheck the caption "Required. Field is required for entry in log".

5. Hit Save (very important)

6. Hit OK

What happens now is Writelog will accept IOTA references such as EU5, AS4
with the log entry marked as 'Bad'.

After the contest, go back and mark all the QSO's as claimed - Writelog
should score them correctly
as 15 points and a multiplier.

Hope someone finds the correct solution - otherwise I might be reverting
back to Super-Duper for IOTA
next weekend.

Good luck, and hope to see you in the contest.

73 Dez - ZC4DW

Clive wrote:

-Hi
-
-In the IOTA contest, I found that e.g. ( my ref.) EU5 is not
-accepted, and EU005 is demanded. In practice, most Gs will send
-you EU5 *not* EU005, in the same way that these days, in the
-CQWW, a W1 invariably sends zone 5 as opposed to 05 as was
-traditional. The QSL message is sent but the contact is *not*
-logged, displaying a format error.In the heat of the battle I
-think this is likely to be pretty troublesome
-
-This is not unworkable but is a tad tedious for islands with
-single digit references. There doesn't seem to be a way around
-this in Contest/Exchange format, and I assume the format is
-embedded somewhere impenetrable. Is this intended I wonder?