[WriteLog] Newby question

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Newby question
From: ko4mr@arrl.net (Richard Eckman)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:17:06 -0400
Tom, K5IID, wrote:

> OK, yeah, I.m a newby and have a simple question...
> Will the on board sound from the mother board be versatile enough to
operate
> the writelog features?
> Thanks,
> 73 Tom K5IID

If I understand you question correctly, I think that you're asking about the
onboard (software) audio AC97 codec on motherboards using, for example, the
Intel 810 and 815 chipset. My experience with both boards is that the
onboard audio works fine under almost all circumstances for DX-related
functions (like Writelog digital voice keying). This assumes that you have a
reasonably powered CPU (I'd been using a Celeron 433 with no problems).

While many complain that software-based onboard audio barely work, I've
never really noticed a problem on either of my systems.

Richard Eckman KO4MR
Hampton, VA